As you'll see, Covid19 is no respecter of ethnic background, but nevertheless Blacks and HIspanics in New York City are disproportionately those testing positive. A prominent outlier is the Williamsburg neighborhood, with its heavily Satmar Hasidic population:
This is a map of COVID in NYC— Farzad Mostashari (@Farzad_MD) April 1, 2020
Also a map of poverty in NYC
Crowded housing, inability to isolate, need to continue high risk jobs, ethnic segregation, will all contribute to pockets where the epidemic continues to burn (and throw sparks) https://t.co/Dn1OiB1OVg pic.twitter.com/y2vysMTCDC
As a bonus, for those who want to get granular, here's a NYT ethnic map of NYC. It dates from 2011, but the general outlines are probably roughly similar:
These patterns may vary from one urban area to the next, but in cities like Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, and Miami--to name a few--I would expect to see patterns that are at least similar.
UPDATED: Commenter "Anonymous" aka "Jim" took exception to this post. Some of his comments had validity, other of his comments not so much. Most pertinently, he pointed out that the response by zipcode only included 11% of those testing positive--so we don't know where the other 89% live. Further, we don't know from the map how many people in each zipcode were tested.
It takes a bit of doing--switching back and forth between the maps and a table of numbers--but it is possible to get a fair picture, and one which validates what Farzad Mostashari is saying. My basic response is that 11% as a polling sample of a population is pretty darn good. If we can accept that, there is a list of NYC zipcodes here (h/t Gregory C. Belmont) that provides total tests and total numbers of positive tests for each zipcode. I did some crosschecking, and discovered. that the zipcodes that showed dark purple--high percent positive--also had high numbers of tests. Thus, Black and Hispanic areas with high percentages of positive results also had high total cases.
I noted above that Covid19 is no respecter of ethnicities. A number of predominantly White zipcodes also had very high percentages of positive tests--notably two zipcodes on Staten Island. Perhaps not surprisingly, the large Chinese/Asian area of Flushing includes some zipcodes (11355) with high positive percentages--although in that case the total number tested is not as high as among other ethnicities. On the other hand, zipcode 11211, which covers much of Williamsburg, had high total numbers as well as high positive percentages.
So, overall I stand by this post. It may not be as in depth as we might like, but that's part of the point. That information should be available and probably is--just not to the general public. Which is what I was saying--The Don't Want You To Know These Things.